As a dancer, finding time to eat between classes, rehearsals, and shows can be extremely difficult. Figuring what to eat can be even harder. However, there are many healthy options and plans within reach that are closer than you may think. Here are several tips and ideas to keep you fueled and satisfied.
Tip #1: The Most Important Meal of the Day
When it comes to breakfast, this meal as a must! It is the first source of nutrients and energy that the body receives for the day, a source that is crucial for dancing all day long.
According to the Safety and Health in Arts Production and Entertainment organization, breakfast is, “the meal that jump starts you metabolism.”
Here a few different options:
• Scrambled egg whites
• Rye toast with peanut butter
• Old fashioned oatmeal with cinnamon and honey
• Yogurt with granola
Tip #2: Do Your Homework
This may sound silly, but planning out meals and packing your lunch can be some of the easiest ways to eat healthier and save money.
Here’s what to do: on your days off, take time to go to the grocery store and plan out what essential foods you need to buy for the week, foods that can be used in a variety of ways.
These can include:
• Spinach: This is easily one of the tastiest greens around and can used not only as a main dish, but on sandwiches or in omelets
• Bread: Despite popular belief, the right kind of bread can be really good for you in providing the perfect amount of carbohydrates the body needs for strenuous activity. Try whole wheat and dark rye options, both are low fat and tend to have less additives
• Nuts: These are a great source of all natural fat that the body needs in order to function properly
• Fruits: As a major food group, fruit is a tasty source of natural sugar and energy for the body.
With all of these different foods, you can create a multitude of different dishes. For more inspiration, check out The Ballerina Chef which is run by a professional dancer in Berlin.
Tip #3: Find Your Soul (Snack) Mate
When there really isn’t time to whip up a delicious meal or leave the studio for food, depend on smart snacks to help pull you through such as:
• Greek yogurt
• Trail mix
• Veggies with hummus
• Dried Fruit
• Granola bars
Remember, you are what you eat and your body will thank you in the long run for making healthy choices!